Monday, August 4, 2014

HAMBURGER W/TOMATO GARLIC SAUCE

I don't like spending money on things I don't have to.  When my husband  requests some Hamburger Helper for dinner I just make my own.  It's easy when you've got a little imagination and the right ingredients to work with.  Best of all it's so much better than those prepackaged products with a seasoning packet full of who knows what.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not knocking them.  In a real pinch they come in pretty handy.



2 lbs uncooked ground meat (beef, turkey or chicken)
1/2 cup fresh chopped onion
1/2 cut fresh chopped green onion
2 tbs garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups fresh beef broth
2 cups tomato sauce with roasted garlic and chili's

4 cups elbow macaroni
1 lb Colby jack cheese cut in cubes

Brown ground meat in a large dutch oven until there is no pink visible.  Add onion and green pepper and stir for 2 minutes.  Add garlic, salt and pepper.  Pour in broth and tomato sauce and cover.  Once broth begins to boil add macaroni and cover again.  Stir occasionally cooking covered for 20 minutes or until macaroni is done.  Add more water if necessary. Once macaroni is done remove from heat and stir in cheese a little at a time until melted.  Set aside for 5 minutes to allow broth to fully thicken.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment