Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

If you carved and canned your fall pumpkin I hope you didn't forget one of the most nutritious parts.  Those pumpkins seeds are packed, and the roast very nicely.  If you read my post on canning pumpkin you know I bake my pumpkins first.  The pumpkin is one of the hardest produce items to cut.

After the pumpkin is baked split it down the middle.  When you remove the inside pulp and seed you have a stringy, gooey mess.  I found place the concoction in a colander and gently kneading it with my fingers allows the seeds to freely dislodge from the pulp.

Once all of the seeds are rounded up pat they dry with a paper towel.  Place them on a baking sheet and coat with a vegetable oil based cooking spray.  With a spatula rotate the seeds so they are completely coated.

At this point you can add what ever seasoning you like.  I used Cajun and garlic salt.  My daughter likes cinnamon and sugar.  Some other combinations might be chili and cheese powder or Parmesan and onion.  Use your imagination to create your own special flavor.  Stir the seeds again to be sure they are generously coated.

Bake seeds in a 350 degree oven for about twenty minutes or until gently browned.  Don't let them get too brown..  Check the seeds often and continue to stir frequently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment