Saturday, May 18, 2013

Calabacina y Carne Gumbo


When my husband and I began dating he invited me to his place for lunch one day.  I only lived five minutes away from work, and he lived in the same apartment building that I did.  It was nice to get away and join him, but what he made me was a big surprise.  It wasn't just that he could cook.  I had never tasted anything quite like Calabacina Y Carne Gumbo in my life.  I knew that was a big moment for me!  To this day every time he makes this overwhelming dish of deliciousness I'm reminded of that day sitting at his breakfast nook enjoying this amazing meal with him.  Even though this makes on very large kettle full be prepared.  The leftovers never stick around long.




1 1/2 LB Tender Boneless Thick Cut Pork Chops
1 8 OZ Package 41-60 Count Shrimp
1 LB Spicy Summer Sausage Link
2 TBS Vegetable Oil

1 5oz Can Tomato Sauce
4 Cups Hot Water

1 Small Onion
1 Medium Green Pepper                                                               OPTIONAL
1 Large Yellow Squash                                                                  Shredded Cheese
1 Large Green Squash                                                                     Sliced Jalapeno
3 Garlic Cloves Minced                                                                  Sour Cream

2 TBS Salt
1 1/2 TBS Lemon  Pepper
2 TBS Oregano

Dice Pork into 1 1/2 inch cubes.  Heat oil in frying pan, add pork and stir constantly until golden brown about 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and add to a large soup kettle.  Add chopped onion, chopped green pepper and minced garlic to oil and cook until slightly tender abut 5 minutes.  Add to kettle.  Quarter Sausage link and slice adding to kettle.  Add tomato Sauce, water, salt, pepper and Oregano.  Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.  Slice green and yellow squash add to Carne and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.  Make sure shrimp is thoroughly clean, deveined and rinsed in cold water.  Toss into Gumbo.  Cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes.

Top with Cheese, Sour Cream or Jalapeno if desired. Serve with fresh flour tortillas.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment